What if I told you that you could have ice cream for breakfast? And what if I also told you it could actually be good for you? Without any unnecessary fats or added sugars? Wouldn’t that be great?
Let me show you how to make it happen.As a fan of so-called “nana ice cream” or “nice cream” I have come to always have a couple of over-ripe bananas stored in our freezer to satisfy this sudden craving for ice cream when my head says that there is no way I can still be hungry. Or for when I want ice cream but not the sticky-sweet kind.
The other day we went to IKEA early on Saturday morning. Mr A was to have breakfast there but I knew I wouldn’t be particularly happy with my choice of a bare bread roll and jam, which currently are the only vegan options on their breakfast menu.
That’s when I decided to have a smoothie to bring along (so Mr A and I could have breakfast together. At IKEA. How romantic!).
Because I felt like something nutty & sweet rather than my usual sour/ savoury concoctions I decided to to try banana, peanut butter and oats with dates and almond milk.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 tbsp oats
- 2 dates
- dash of almond milk
- A few peanuts, 1/2 ts chia seeds or topping of your choice
- If you froze the banana as a whole, peel it and roughly chop it into pieces. If you cut it before freezing and put it into a container (which is a very smart thing to do), take it out of the freezer.
- Chop the dates.
- Blend the banana & dates with the peanut butter, then slowly add almond milk and oats.
- Pour into your container of choice.
- Top with whole peanuts and chia seeds if you're feeling fancy.
- ...and you're ready to go!
- If you don't have a regular blender or an even fancier Vitamix, Thermomix or similar - or, like myself, are just too lazy to clean the whole thing - an immersion blender will do the trick perfectly well.
4 thoughts on “Aliciouslyvegan: Banana peanut butter ice cream smoothie”
Oh yumm! It looks absolutely divine! The plate in the last photo is beautiful, you have wonderful friends 🙂
Thank you Alice for the banana peanut butter ice cream smoothie recipe! It was absolutely delicious! I thought that one banana would be not enough for two greedy persons, so I doubled the ingredients. It was more than enough 😉
I’m glad you liked it! It’s a perfect little treat, that smoothie, isn’t it?