The other day Mr A actually said what he wanted for dinner (usually, he will happily eat whatever I put on the table) – something like the lentil salad from Neni, Haya Molcho’s restaurant at Naschmarkt.
It was time for me to become creative, google a little and then come up with something somewhat resembling the original.
- 1/2 ts coriander seeds
- 1/2 ts cumin seeds
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- peanut oil
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Dry roast coriander and cumin carefully so as not to burn them (like I did the first time).
- Add peanut oil and brown the onion.
- Add lentils and coat them with oil before cautiously adding a good cup of water.
- Leave lentils to simmer until the water has evaporated, stir in the soy sauce and add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Garnish with a few coriander leaves.